Sunday, September 28, 2008

Great day for a scooter ride

Riding in the Catoctin Mountains
by Tommy Thunder




Hey Tommy Thunder here,


Today after the rain from the last two days has seemed to leave the area its time for a ride.

I took my 150 classic for a ride up the mountain.Were I live is some of the most beautiful area to ride scooters or motorcycles. The road I live on brings you to the base of the Catoctin Mountains in Mountain dale you come down Mountain dale Rd. off Rt.15 and take to end .Make a right and you are headed up the mountain.You will pass some beautiful Appalachian cabins and chalets then the pavement turns to packed gravel road.This terrain is a little tricky for the novice rider but those with experience will have no problem. As you go up you will pass a beautiful lake on the left than the road will fork to left and right.Today I took the left .This route takes you along a large creek that has many great places to pull over and just enjoy the surroundings.


You can follow this all the way up or take the first right you come to.This is the way I went today.This will turn in to a narrow paved road for a while and goes up at a very large grade.The leaves are just starting to turn and it was very beautiful half way up is a great place to stop and take a break.You can continue up to top where to road comes to a tee where to day I went right this will take you to Gambrils park Rd. I took a right and went down till I hit the gravel again ,This will take me back along the ridge line and then back down the mountain and come out where I started.I had a great ride and if anyone is intrested in some fall riding get back to me .

Well time to go out to the shed and clean the scooter I took out today. What a great day!!!!!!

Stay safe out there

Thanks
Tommy Thunder

No comments: